• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 03:27:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championship 2014

Started by johnrm, January 07, 2014, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

What was the 46 for that's a cracking score
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

irish_goat

delzep

Quote from: irish_goat on March 24, 2014, 09:24:41 AM
Got a 46, 31 and 30. The 31 was in the wrong category and the 30 was waaaay overcarbed. Happy enough with the scores and feedback though.

Scoresheets must be on the way already so it seems

beerfly

got a 40 and 39

the people in the well got the sheets back when it was finished

irish_goat

Anyone in the Well got their scoresheets back. The rest of ye's will start receiving them very soon courtesy of Royal Mail and the British taxpayer.  ;)

Quote from: Tube on March 24, 2014, 09:49:06 AM
Wow, that must be one of the highest scores, any idea who judged it?

Liam Hanlon and Mark Dixon(new Trouble brewer).

SlugTrap

Quote from: Chris on March 23, 2014, 05:04:45 PM
Any medals won with extract or kits?

Gold and a 44 for extract weizenbock (Category 15).
WPL300 did all the work!

Ciaran

35 for a 21a winter beer.  First ever comp entry so no idea how good or bad that score is.  Will be interesting to see the score sheet to get an idea of the overall impression etc which is what it's all about :)

brian_c

A 23 and a 32. Not good enough. I did better last year.

rAdve

My first ever beer in the competition and i got 39!  This will give me good boost to learn more and more. I hope there is some hints in the scoresheet what to do better.

DrowningManatee

Got a 42 for my ginger/lemon lager (was about 10 months old) and 27 for my simcoe BIPA, pretty happy, lookin forward to see the scoresheets now...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Hop Bomb

13 for APA (same beer scored 40 in the Liffey Brewers comp a few weeks before)
36 for DIPA
38 for 1890 export stout (Truman recipe)
44 for Cascadian Dark Ale
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

nigel_c

My DIPA that got a 44 in the Liffey got a 30 in the nationals and an imperial stout that scored a 40 last year got a 16 this year. Some differences there. Really looking forward to the score sheets.

brenmurph

Quote from: Tube on March 24, 2014, 04:10:29 PM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on March 24, 2014, 04:02:22 PM
13 for APA (same beer scored 40 in the Liffey Brewers comp a few weeks before)

Will be interesting to compare score sheets!

I suspect some beers are wrongly labeled or  wrong bottle judged. I have a marzen and we r looking at the sheets this afternoon, a completely different beer was judged :) Deep copper, carammelly, DMS sweet finish,...actual beer has no trace of DMS, is at very best gold in colour and is biscuity and finishes dry as with all our lagers.

So dont get too upset, check sheets and see first of all do you think the correct beer was judged after that may be the bottle got infected in the last few weeks, maybe it gushed which wouldnt help.
Also I got an as expected result with out dry stout which was well received and enjoyed by the judges, main fault was thin body which Is bang on....Lucan scored 13....maybe a stout in lucan got mixed up.

We will never know, however if someone entered a deep copper beer that was very caramelly with some DMS and finished sweet and your judges sheet suggest that a pale amber, dry, well carbonated, biscuity Marzen like beer was judged,  that was mine :) ;)

brenmurph

Twas / is lovely, have plenty them left, do u want one? That was entered as a scwartzbier, that wasnt a  mistake and it was actually a scwartzbier. I agree the spice is a little out of style :) and the judges definatly judged my beer correctly and all comments are bang on  :)

The one I mentioned in the previous post was a different beer in every way, not least the colour ( deep copper versus pale gold), so maybe a mixup somewhere with flight sheets or labels or something may have caused it.  I just mentioned in case the rightfull owner is totally confused when he / she gets his / her sheets back

biertourist

Quote from: irish_goat on March 24, 2014, 09:24:41 AM
Got a 46, 31 and 30. The 31 was in the wrong category and the 30 was waaaay overcarbed. Happy enough with the scores and feedback though.

Wow! A 46?!?! Amazing.  What beer style was that?

Adam