• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 03:13:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Orange Hefeweizen (ala 'shocktop')

Started by LordEoin, December 07, 2012, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drzava

Quote from: LordEoin on September 22, 2015, 02:53:09 PM
Time to put on the next batch  ;D
It'll have to join the queue of 'must do's - currently stretching nearly to Christmas!

LordEoin

hold off til early spring and have it ready for our April summer ;)

BrewDorg

Made this about 10 days ago. Conditioning in my mini kegs now. Had a little taste of the hydrometer sample and I think it's gonna be a good one!

LordEoin

nice one! We'll all be over for a session on Saturday  ;D

By the way folks as probably none of you have had original Shocktop (cant get it here) the way they serve it is with a nice fat slice of orange floating in a frosted pint glass.
The mexicans seem to like throwing a good pinch of salt in there too, which actually is quite nice.

BrewDorg

Might have to try the orange slice and salt now that this is ready ;)

I had this conditioning in 4 mini kegs and 2 bottles. Tried a bottle last week (2 weeks in the bottle) and it was kind of meeeh. Opened up the first keg last night (3 weeks in the keg) and wow I'm absolutely delighted with how it's gone. I like my wheats on the banana/clove side and this really delivers for me. My 3 friends who tasted with me said it reminded them of the Paulaner wheat they had at Oktoberfest Beag so I think that's a result!

LordEoin

Great result! Nice to have a batch of something tasty. The only challenge now is making it last  ;)

BrewDorg

1 keg down already so yeah, it's going to be a challenge  :D

marzen scorsese

Just watched the dark crystal there a fine ball of fantastic fantasy  :) it reminds me of the good old days watching the labyrinth on VHS repeatedly

Def gonna brew this baby up too sounds really good all those flavours
Thanks lordeoin

oinkely

Just reviving this thread again as I am planning on doing this again.  Going to add some Saaz hops too.

Just looking for advice on how much and at what stage?

Also, what sort of temp should I be fermenting at to get a good banana tang off it?  Have the wlb06 yeast for it.

Cheers

Oink

LordEoin

I'd probably dryhop somewhere around 40grams of saaz.
Ferment at 23.5°C for banana.

oinkely

Thanks LE

I'll go with your recommendations.

Ceedee

waking up this old thread.....

Can you remember the yeast quantity for this? I fancy putting this on for a nice Summer beer.

Did you hydrate the yeast or just use from the packet. (I have an 11.5g packet of this yeast just waiting for a home :-) )

LordEoin

Yeah, just sprinkle in 1 pack of WB06. sorted

irish_goat

I had a pint of Shocktop in Toronto Airport last week. Wasn't too impressed with it. Too light and a little too flat for my liking too.

LordEoin

it needs salt, a slice of orange, and mexicans... many mexicans