• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 04:19:13 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NHC on tour - An Education in Beer

Started by johnrm, June 05, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

I feel this is appropriate under education (mostly for SWMBO).

Is it worth considering an annual trip to another country as a group where we can explore culture, food and drink unfettered by our loved ones, and supported only by our like-minded brethren?

Thought? Ideas? Locations?
Jot them down here.

LordEoin

All I heard was "Vegas baby!!" ?   8)

DEMPSEY

John have you being reading my mind. I have being thinking just such a thing myself. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

Everything else would be easy.

brenmurph

Germany as well and can recomend munich / Freising

Aerlingus to munich 120 euros

Bavaria ( Munch entire network region) travel ticket unlimited ( 2 people ) 69 euros for 4 days

Hotels really decent hotels **** 80-100 double or twin room

Breakfasts...well u dont need to eat anything else all day

Food typical 8 euros for a decenmt lunch
Even ,meal cant spend 20 euros too easily, we had 2 x course greek restaurant 2 x oozo, 2 x espressos, 2 x weissbiers total 26 euros

Attractions
Weihenstephan brewing centre of excellence, Wehenstephen brewery tour ( 6 ruros for proper hands on tour x 90 minutes)
Andechs Closter, ye will love it up there...dubbel Bock 7.1% 3.40 euros half litre
English gardens ( mini Munich Beerfest) Free entry in and only 3 euros a pint

perfectly acceptable to drink in Public. Crate 20 x 500ml bottles premium german beer from 6.50 euros weihenstephen 1 euro a bottle

Munich city. Hofbrauhouse and Ayinger.

Aying south munich ( inc on ur travel ticket. Traditional Brewery town.

And freising makes a great base, great value and fantastic bavarian pubs inc the weihenstephaner brewery and pub at the Alte Akademy up the hill

thats munich covered for starters...Im sure theres plenty more but above will take 3 or 4 days to cover properly

imark

Belgian first. Then the mythical land of Cascadia. Nice!

DEMPSEY

I was thinking of a visit to Thornbridge brewery too.  :) :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

I can smell the farts at the hotel breakfast already  ;D
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

nigel_c

mr hoppy

I'd love to go to Bamberg, or Czech.

Lots of interesting places to visit in Belgium as well of course.

brenmurph

Quote from: nigel_c on June 06, 2014, 12:20:50 PM
Oktoberfest

HI Nigel...always nice to say u were at the oktoberfest, it is a great experience, however the English Gardens in munich is nearly the same. Umpalumpa banda, steins of beer,  food stalls, long tables.

Prob with Oktoberfest is the cost which is terrible. Hotels 4 times the normal price, flights 3 times the normal price, however an idea for that would be to stay outside munich somehwere like another beer heaven (freising, Aying, andechs regions) and commute to oktoberfest or even fly to banberg, dusseldorf and train it into munich for a day.

Samael

Consider Poland lads, maybe not great brewing traditions like Germany or Czech but I think is worth - cheap accomadation and meals and good beer such as baltic porter or other great craft beers. Now my country is in beer revolution :) Highly recommended !
..::Tomasz::..

Bzfeale80

If anyone is thinking of heading over to the USA Portland in Oregon is craft beer Mecca as far as I'm concerned and San Diego is a close second. Plenty in both places for foodies and culture vultures too  :)

ronnieb

Portland looks great, thankfully the SWMBO asked me to go there later  this year on holidays.. I reluctantly said yes :)