• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 01:34:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop Infused Cold Brew Coffee

Started by dcalnan, July 11, 2014, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

I made a 1 gallon batch of a coffee stout, using about 30g of coffee from my favourite coffee roasters The Golden Bean. Gave them a few bottles of it and they loved it so I'm going to make a full 5gallon batch soon. And it got me thinking of other ways I could combine my two loves of coffee and beer and today when I was drinking a cold brew coffee from Filter Cafe in Cork, it came to me, why not chuck a few hops into the cold brew and see what happens. So I've now made a 400ml concentrate of cold brew coffee and I've left it in the fridge for overnight, then I'm going to strain it through a coffee filter and put around 2g of Amarillo in(just opened it for dry hopping, so thought I might as well use it when it's open) And then leave it for a while and see how it turns out. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Garry

When I started brewing I used to make a hop tea with a few cones of hops in a french press. It would give me an idea of the hop's attributes. If you got the hop quantity right it was quite drinkable. More often than not I used too much hops and ended up with a stretched face.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work with coffee. Just start with small quanities and work your way up towards the goldilocks zone.

You might have more luck with hot water though. It will get the aromas out better. Stay below 80'C if you don't want to extract any bitterness.

It's an interesting idea, so let us know how you get on. There's definitely a relationship between coffee and hops. Sometimes you get a fruity coffee that reminds you of some of the new world hops.

dcalnan

This turned out pretty nice, the coffee works really well with the amaryllis hops. It's a very pronounced hop tast that maybe overpowers the coffee. But I like it, ill try it again with less hops and see if it balances out.