• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 05:29:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New Guinness brews.

Started by googoomuck, September 03, 2014, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Quote from: irish_goat on February 09, 2015, 07:22:58 AM
Jacks Bar in Derry have it on draught but it tasted like it had line cleaner in it. Had the same problem with the Shandon Stout in there (which Dublin Porter has replaced).
Probably because the barman that was told to put cleaner in the line when the Shandon was on tap is away on holidays and his sidekick is carrying on the practice because the Diageo rep has not told him to stop ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DCLavs

Quote from: DEMPSEY on February 09, 2015, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: irish_goat on February 09, 2015, 07:22:58 AM
Jacks Bar in Derry have it on draught but it tasted like it had line cleaner in it. Had the same problem with the Shandon Stout in there (which Dublin Porter has replaced).
Probably because the barman that was told to put cleaner in the line when the Shandon was on tap is away on holidays and his sidekick is carrying on the practice because the Diageo rep has not told him to stop ;)

Didn't know that.Must get a call in for a pint for 3.

Andy Q

Anyone who's out Lucan way, west indies porter is 2.25 in corkscrew in kennys, also 4 o'dells for €10
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Qs

Quote from: Andy Q on February 13, 2015, 02:02:42 PM
Anyone who's out Lucan way, west indies porter is 2.25 in corkscrew in kennys, also 4 o'dells for €10
I'd nearly drive to Lucan just for that.

beerfly

tried the hophouse 13 last night, not bad at all.

gonzo

Was taken on a jolly yesterday by diagio to the storehouse and their new brewhouse 4(or willie wonka world! their words 180m brewhouse), all to push their new line the Hophouse 13 lager .While there got talking to its creater and new poster boy Alan simpson heres what i gleaned
                                                      Hophouse 13 - 4.1 abv  18 Ibu                                                                                                                                                                                                                   mostly pale malt with a  little light crystal                                                                                double hopped (their words)with galaxy, topaz and mosaic (bittering and flameout)
                                                fermented with their guinness yeast at its lowest possible tempreture
                                                     then lagered   .
          Had a tasting session guinness ,west indies porter,blond ale,pale ale, carlsberg and hophouse 13 a couple of tours ,lunch ,then a free bar (hophouse or dublin porter only)for half an hour bussed home  a free feed and a couple of free hop house rounded off the day ,all in all a good day out even if i think the beers a bit middle of the road .

Dunkel

Are you one of their new brand ambassadors?

mr hoppy

Tried the west indies today. First thought - funny to see a Giniz beer actually branded as porter. Second thought - is that a big bang of diacetyl? Definitely diacetyl. Not necessarily bad diaecetyl, more like the St Peters cream stout diacetyl (god be with the day when that seemed overpriced >:(). I'd still prefer FES and plenty else but it's not shite either.

Ohnidog

Quote from: mr hoppy on February 27, 2015, 11:57:48 PM
Tried the west indies today. First thought - funny to see a Giniz beer actually branded as porter. Second thought - is that a big bang of diacetyl? Definitely diacetyl. Not necessarily bad diaecetyl, more like the St Peters cream stout diacetyl (god be with the day when that seemed overpriced >:(). I'd still prefer FES and plenty else but it's not shite either.

I definitely prefer FES, the west indies porter just seems is just a dumbed down version of it. Both have diacetyl as part of the profile and its one of the few styles where it works. It wouldn't be an FES without it, although I've noticed the BJCP seem to think otherwise :-\

If they really wanted to get crafty they should release their Belgian Fes over here, thats an amazing beer, its 8%,  biscuity, smokey and smooth as f00k!

mr hoppy

I've a bottle of FES - I'd never really got the diacetyl off it the way I got it off the porter, but I must try it again.

+1 one on Belgian Guinness, it's lovely stuff.

DCLavs

Anyone know where the Belgium FES can be ordered from?

mr hoppy

I've seen it in the Abbot ale house in Cork sometimes.

I see your in Derry so this might be a more practical option.

http://www.belgianbeerz.com/search?type=product&q=guinness

I ordered some stuff from here and while it wouldn't be a cheap option the service and selection was pretty good. They even have Hercule stout which is a really nice Belgian stout.

LordEoin

Revisited the Guinness porters tonight and i really like the West Indies Porter.
It's nothing special but certainly one of the best beers to come out of Guinness' foray into the 'craft beer' market.

It's got plenty on the nose - burnt toast and molasses.
Flavor's pretty good too - more burnt stuff (toast, toffee, fry fruit). a bit too carbonated and a little thin. mild bitterness.
Even though the flavor's nothing to write home about, what you get through the nose really compliments and enhances the flavor.
head is thick on pouring (about 2 fingers), but dissipating quickly with slight lacing throughout.

And for the non-beer-nerds:
Smells nice. Tastes ok. probably crap if you have a cold 'cos the smell and taste work together to combat the fizz.

Bonus content:
I blocked my nose and had a sup. Tasted nothing but the bitterness. unblocked and it all made sense again. like the whole apple/onion thing.
Science 1 : LordEoin 0

johnrm

Spotted Guinness XX in can and bottle in Tesco. I was already laden with beers so didn't pick ant up.
Is this just regular Guinness?

Beermonger

Tried the XX the other night. It's not regular guinness. For one it's carbonated (no widget). More watery mouthfeel made up for by what I guess is a fair bit of brown ale. Not wonderful, but really not bad. Definitely a bit in the direction of the old brown-malt-heavy historical porters. On the other hand, if you like brown malt, just wait for the McGargles brown ale to come out. (Or brew Pattinson's 1804 Barclay Perkins porter.)

Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA