• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 17, 2024, 05:36:05 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kit temperature question

Started by LukeH, March 04, 2015, 02:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeH

Hi guys,

I started my amber ale kit on Saturday 28th February - I put it in the hotpress and with the adhesive thermometer on the side of the FV it remained between 18-19 degrees (the beer temperature) until Monday - its now slid down to 14-16 degrees and in the 'lager' temperature range and fermentation is now slowed down..

Question is do I need to be looking to get the temperature back up to 18/19 degrees or should it be okay in its current range?

Thanks in advance..

LordEoin

what kit is it? the temperature will depends on the yeast.
you'll probably need to get the temperature up again though

LukeH

It is the Youngs Amber Ale kit - says to keep between 20 and 24 degrees so I may be in trouble!

I have the immersion on full whack and hopefully that will help otherwise I'll have to invest in a brewbelt..

LordEoin

Yeah, you'd probably be fine from ~18°C but 14 is pushing it to a place where the yeast just wants to curl up and go to sleep.
try and get the temp up and ride it through. A brewbelt will save you money in the longrun. the immersion can get expensive fast and there's no real control.

LukeH

Cheers - I will make sure to have a brew belt for the next brew and will probably line the fermenter with insulating foil to minimise fluctuations too..

gearoid

If you get a belt you might also consider rigging up a stc-1000. Great post on it here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,7491.0.htm\